top of page

The Bare Essentials: Identifying and Treating Your Pain

A properly functioning spine and nervous system is crucial for being healthy and living optimally. The stress we encounter in slips, falls, accidents, wear and tear and poor posture can lead to functional problems, health issues and PAIN. Learn the role of the spine and some easy steps you can follow at home and work to improve your overall spinal health. Visit our website to learn more about our comprehensive chiropractic care.

What is the spine’s role?

The brain controls the function of every organ, tissue and cell in the body. It does this by transmitting signals from the brain to the spinal cord and throughout the body via nerves. When the spine moves improperly, pressure is placed on the nerve roots that exit the spine. Research shows that as little pressure as a dime can decrease nerve flow by up to 60%. This is significant since only 10% of the nerves in the body carry signals of pain. Therefore, if your condition has progressed to the point that that the body is signaling pain, you are only experiencing 10% of the problem. The other 90% may be affecting the organs, tissues and cells supported by that same nerve which can now affect your overall health.

Your posture is the window to the spine and nervous system

The most common cause of non-traumatic neck, back pain and headaches is poor posture. The wear and tear on the body occurs over time and is most evident in Forward Head Syndrome. When the head translates forward, the malposition places tension on the muscles, ligaments and nerves and most commonly leads to pain. Many times the posture cannot be corrected without first lining up the spine and reducing the adaptive changes that have set-in to the muscles and ligaments over time.

Finding the cause of the problem

A proper examination for spinal problems requires a close assessment of the spine and all of the supporting bones, muscles and ligaments. Diagnostic testing for spinal problems may include digital radiographs, MRI, NCV/EMG. Dr. Robert Koch can determine the most appropriate testing needed to formulate a thorough diagnosis for your specific injury.

Treating the problem

Dr. Robert Koch of Essential Mind and Body reviews the medical history, performs a physical examination, and may use lab tests or diagnostic imaging to determine if treatment is appropriate for your spinal/back pain. The treatment plan may involve one or more manual adjustments in which the doctor manipulates the joints using a controlled, sudden force to improve range and quality of motion. Essential Mind and Body also incorporates nutritional counseling, acupuncture, massage and exercise/rehabilitation into the treatment plan. The goals of chiropractic care include the restoration of function and prevention of injury in addition to back pain relief.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page